Just returned from a great weekend in Winchester at the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators conference. Here are ten things I learned:
1. "We have an obligation to tell a story." Marcus Sedgwick.
2. "Don't be shy – be famous!" Sarah McIntyre's head is a scary, but entertaining place to be.
3. There is much fun to be had watching SCBWI Greenaway and Carneige Talent battle it out in public …
4. "When you find yourself moving commas around, the book is probably finished and ready to go." Marcus Sedgwick.
5. Everybody knows Nick Cross. No, seriously, everybody!
6. "Sidekicks are really handy!" Lynne Chapman. Author, illustrator who rocks big time and provided great entertainment and inspiration to the Sunday afternoon crowd of fun-fatigued delegates.
7. Books are here to be devoured. Dinosaurs with lasers – nutritious and delicious!
8. "We are makers!" David Fickling – a publishing legend. Shown here providing words of wisdom and further proof that bow ties are cool!
9. Candy Gourlay is a multi-talented, supremely generous human being – but lethal with a lens!
10. Collect a couple of hundred children's writers and illustrators together in a room and it will fill you with a great sense of well-being and hope for the future.
Don't take my word for it. Check out these other top ten words of wisdom from:
More to follow …