Friday 24 April 2020

Writing Prompt (Title Series #4) – Unexpected Item in Bagging Area

I went to the supermarket for supplies yesterday. As directed, I used one of the automatic checkout machines. I followed the on-screen instructions and everything was going fine.

Please swipe an item. Check.
Place the item in your bag. Check. 

I was getting into it, picking up some speed, getting a good rhythm … and then the following message flashed up on the screen.


I looked at the bunch of bananas I'd just put in my bag. There was still a picture of them on the screen. The robot checkout had just told me to put them in there! How unexpected could they be???!

I won't bore you with what happened next – it's not a great story. BUT IT COULD HAVE BEEN! On the way home I started thinking – what is the most unexpected item you could find in the bagging area? What if you found something REALLY weird? There could be a story in that, I thought.

So this is your challenge for today! Write a story, or a poem, about finding something REALLY UNEXPECTED in the bagging area at your local supermarket. 

What's the weirdest thing you can think of? A baby? An elephant?! A surface-to-air rocket launcher? What's the funniest thing you can imagine finding? What's it doing there and what are you going to do about it?

This one might be good for a cartoon, or a picture. What's the strangest object you can draw, waiting in the bagging area? Design a weird and wonderful object so people have to try and work out what it is, what it's for and how it got there!

OK, I realise I said at the start of the week that I wouldn't give any hints for these prompts – but hey, it's Friday and I'm a generous kind of fella … so you're very welcome.

Have a great weekend. Y'all stay safe now!

No comments:

Post a Comment