Anybody who has heard me talk will know that one of my earliest ambitions was to be an astronaut. I even wrote to NASA asking how to join. (They wrote back!)
My favourite song was Space Oddity by David Bowie and I spent many hours dressed in my makeshift spacesuit and an old crash-helmet, moon-walking round the house.
Anyway, back to the prompt … This is quite a wide brief – an opportunity for you to boldly go where ever your imagination decides to drag you!
However, if the vast expanse of space leaves you feeling overwhelmed, here are a few ideas that might spark something:
– Your story could be set in a galaxy faraway (like Star Wars, Futurama, Final Space …)
– Imagine it's years into the future – with Earth's resources dwindling, humans have begun the colonisation of another planet (maybe Mars or the Moon*) *Not actually a planet. What would life be like living in one of these new colonies? A different kind of isolation, perhaps? Your current experiences might be useful here.
– Imagine taking one of the first tourist flights into space. Billed as "The experience of a lifetime!" But what if something went wrong?
– If you like scary stories, what about a space monster story? One of my favourite films is about the crew of space ship who find themselves trapped with an alien on board! Or what about an alien invasion? (To give it a twist, what if humans were the aliens doing the invading!)
– Or maybe you get to live my dream and become an astronaut. What would that be like? Again, spending weeks on a space station might have quite a few similarities with your current lockdown isolation – there would certainly be restrictions on going outside!
These are just a few ideas – I'm sure you can think of something much better. There's a LOT of space out there. Have fun with it!